Pages

Sunday 4 March 2012

Mum, Are Humming Birds Are Made From Hummus? Yes.

Possibly one of the world's simplest vegan dishes - with the exception of cutting up a few veggies and calling it done - has got to be hummus. The other day I made this is in about 10 minutes, from start to finish, because I'd promised a friend some hummus for his birthday and I possessed poor time management.

THROW INTO A FOOD PROCESSOR:
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
2 Tbsp tahini paste
3 garlic cloves
the juice of 1 lemon
100mL olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper

BLEND.
Done.
Well, maybe you might need to 1/2 cup of water if you want a smoother consistency, or some paprika for even more exotic flavour, but pretty much, you're done.
Serve with crusty Turkish bread or chopped veggies.

The thing about hummus is, just like a teenage girl's break-up, it's much better the next day.

Freezes well, and I don't know, I'm pretty sure you can go nuts tweaking this recipe to suit whatever is in your pantry. Broccoli hummus? Well, I am always trying to hide broccoli in everything (cos it's up there for iron content, down there for taste), but maybe that's a bit far.
Turmeric, however, is great for your brain, and I've added that before to my hummus with joyous results.
Get cracking, hepcats.

No comments:

Post a Comment