Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Hey Pesto!

I met a herb the other day.
Basil The Herb.
And now, we're in love.

Just how was it that I'd gone through my 26 years of existance and never once come across basil?
I've lived a sheltered life, I'm sure.

Last night I made a Basil Pesto,  serving size for an entree.... about 4.
I ate it all.
I love Basil. Did I mention that?

Pesto is a really easy spread to make and it's perfect for pre-dinner snacks on crusty bread, or mixed with pasta for an italian mains.
Check it out...

2 cups of Basil leaves.
3 cloves of fresh garlic
1/3 cup of pine nuts
1/3 nutritional yeast (this is the substitute for parmesan cheese... and it's great!)
4 or 5 sun-dried tomatoes
1/3 cup of olive oil or flaxseed oil or sesame oil*
salt & pepper & sesame seeds

*I usually keep the oil from every jar of sun-dried tomatoes I finish and create a little tasty oil culmination. This spread is a great place to pour that in.

Add the salt and pepper to taste, the sesame seeds don't add too much flavour so add them for an excellent source of Calcium.

(It's quite a forgiving recipe in terms of ingredients; feel free to add walnuts/almonds/cashews instead, or as well as pine nuts... add chia seeds for Omega 3... remove the sun-dried tomato for a less sweet pesto.)

Step 2:
BLEND.

And hey pesto, you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment